Thursday, September 22, 2011

Building Foundations

The semester is in full swing and many students are now feeling the novelty of being back on campus is wearing off. Classes are getting intense, groups of friends are becoming tighter and smaller, activities are fun but not as thrilling in the beginning and some are wondering…is this IT for the year? I would say NO! It’s actually just beginning, this is the time where I always felt was the time to build or expand my foundation for the year.  I often reflect on a few questions…What is it that I want to do this semester? What experiences do I want? How am I going to challenge myself? 

Once place that will provide opportunities to build or expand your foundation is the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) in the Harper Center. For first year students, Coffee and Conversations with Becky Nickerson is a great way to expand your foundation. You will meet new students, be able to talk about your first year experiences, and get a great cup of coffee (or tea or hot chocolate). Make sure you keep your eye out for your invitation from Becky!

Another great activity hosted by OMA and the Counseling Center is Women’s Journey facilitated by Becky Nickerson and Hope Russell. Women’s Journey is a monthly group meeting for multicultural women on campus to come together for a dinner of soup and conversation. Conversational topics range and are often chosen by the women who attend. Invitations are sent over email to multicultural women, we have student who attend regularly and some only a few times. Once in a while there are opportunities to meet multicultural women from the faculty and staff. This year Women’s Journey is going to be hosted more regularly so if you are interested, feel free to stop by the OMA and talk to Becky!

What about if you aren’t a first year student or a multicultural woman, how could you use OMA to build a foundation? Our regular programs of speakers, documentaries, and other activities are great opportunities to experience the large range of diversity we have on campus. There is also a dialogue series called Courageous Conversations, each conversation will deal with some of society's most contentious issues, including but not limited to: race, religion, sexual orientation, and conflicts throughout the world. So I encourage you to use your voice in helping us talk about these issues on campus!

Building and expanding my foundation was critical to my success in undergrad and graduate school. I continue to do this today whenever I am at a new transition point in my life, for example moving from Massachusetts to Omaha to work in Multicultural Affairs! I am still expanding my foundation so I invite you to expand and strengthen it with me. I hope that this short post has encouraged you to think about how your college experience will be and how an office like Multicultural Affairs can help you build or strengthen your foundation here at Creighton.  















Luz Minerva Colon-Rodrìguez
Assistant Director, Outreach and Programming
 

No comments:

Post a Comment