Friday, February 1, 2013

Creighton Ruined Me...


Let me explain before you think "uhh why is she writing about Creighton if she hates it?"

My feelings for my experience at Creighton University are the furthest from hate. In fact, that's why Creighton ruined me. Many of you have probably heard it tossed around in regards to how once the Jesuit values are entrenched in your value system, you're ruined for life. You can't turn a blind eye to the injustices in the world, you always strive for Magis, and you attempt to care for the whole person. Not to mention you can't imagine just living for yourself, but rather "for and with others." Never again will you wonder what "AMDG" means, and I bet that in your job after graduation, you will be able to name more Jesuits than professors.

These sentiments and more are the best way to characterize the transformation that occurred in me through my time at Creighton. I can't even believe that I am a second semester senior who's time is almost up.

When I first got accepted to CU, I was looking primarily at schools closer to my hometown of Portland, Maine. The prospect of going to a school in Omaha, Nebraska (a place I had never been and didn't have ANY connections to) was terrifying. In fact, all logic told me not to go. My family is all on the East Coast, from Maine to Florida. I have connections throughout the New England states that would have provided me with internships and other building blocks for the future. Not to mention the ocean. Growing up 3 minutes away from the Atlantic is quite different than living 3 minutes away from what I respectfully refer to the Missouri River as: "chocolate milk."

But when I opened up my Creighton acceptance and found this quote on the front, you could say that my mind was made up.

"A university that will challenge you. A community that will embrace you. An experience that will change you."

So I did the naturally logical thing and accepted the invitation to go to a college 1,700 miles away where I knew absolutely no one. Yep.

I'm a quotes freak so I remember a major "oooh, ahhh" that I thought when I saw the tight writing. But over my time here, I really have come to realize that Creighton meant it when they said it. Even if it started as creative marketing copy, Creighton University really came through on this claim. I have been challenged, most definitely - both in and out of the classroom. I have been embraced more than I ever thought possible. And yes, I've sure been changed. So maybe that's a better way to say it than ruined, but whatever way you say it, it's true. And I couldn't be happier about it.
 
Kindly,
 

Christina Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment