Thursday, October 25, 2012

Find That Place

I love being in nature.

When I was in college I discovered that my stress melts away when I’m not in the city. When I get stressed, angry or upset, nothing makes me feel better than getting in the car and driving out to a lonely highway or gravel road. I love sitting with a fishing pole in my hands, and thinking about nothing. For me, it offers time to think. To let go.

This summer as I climbed Mount Washburn in Yellowstone National Park, I suddenly realized why I find so much joy in nature.

I am able to experience the glory of God in a very tangible way.

His glory is made visible in the beauty of creation, and I see the tender care God gives to it. And Scripture says that God cares more for us than even the flowers and birds that he designed! I am reminded of his love for me, and in that, I find freedom.

Because I am a daughter of his, I am free to be me.

I don’t have to worry about impressing him – besides, what do I have to impress a perfect and eternal God? I am not worried about my performance at work. I am not concerned about how skinny or chubby I feel that day. I am not bothered by how messy my apartment is, and how many things I am supposed to accomplish.

All I do is put one foot in front of the other, praising God for the incredible view that falls below me as I climb higher. I am aware of my breath as the air gets thinner, and am thankful for the gift of life.

I believe that God speaks his love to everyone in different ways. Where do you hear him shouting his love for you? Find that place. Acknowledge your brokenness, and know that God is more than big enough for everything you carry with you. Rejoice in the daughter God made you to be.


With sisterly love,

 
Michaela Tallman
Director - Lieben Center for Women

No comments:

Post a Comment