Thursday, February 23, 2012

Women's Issues

I have always been passionate about women’s issues. I grew up in an all-female household with a mother who was politically very active. From an early age, I noticed that men and women in Switzerland were treated differently, and this merely because of their differing power status. I remember questioning this bias and wanting to figure out the origins of these differences. At a more fundamental level, I wondered why boys and girls differed and whether there were any environmental reasons for those differences. In many ways, this curiosity led me to my current research and teaching interests.

When I started my undergraduate studies at Creighton University, I did not really know what I wanted to study. I thought that International Relations would be a good match with my interests in politics and my multi-lingual experiences. However, when I took my first psychology course, I understood that this was the path I wanted to pursue. I loved my introductory psychology course. Not only was my professor an inspiring teacher, but I was also made aware that one could scientifically examine behaviors and thoughts. This was the start of an amazing journey of discovery. As part of a research methods lab, I examined differences in men and women’s memory. I wanted to know why in my all-male household, I seemed to be the only one who could remember where my boys’ and husband’s things were (even though they had misplaced the items). I continued that research focus throughout my graduate career. Over the years, it included answering questions such as: what do boys and girls think of gendered toys, how does their understanding of gender affect their play, how do these thought patterns influence their behaviors, performance, and interests later in life, why is there a lack of women in the physical sciences, how can cognitive gender differences be eliminated, etc. Some of the studies have shown that there are ways to attenuate these differences through certain environmental experiences (e.g., video game play, other leisure activities, etc.).

My teaching interests have also evolved to include women’s issues. A few years ago, I created one of my favorite courses: Women and Gender. As part of the course, students are asked to experience our gendered world and reflect on it. Currently, together with several female professors, I am developing a new online course in Women and Leadership. This course will likely be featured (with a few differences) in our new graduate certificate in Women’s Leadership. I hope that many of you will join our first class in the near future!

Kindly,













Dr. Isabelle D. Cherney
Associate Dean of the Graduate School and University College
Director, Interdisciplinary Ed.D. Program in Leadership
Professor of Psychology

No comments:

Post a Comment